Every now and again I am reminded just how important self-care is. Some hear ‘self-care’ and think a number of things…. that’s easy for you, you don’t have kids, it leads a selfish mentality, it’s indulgent. On the flip side I’ve been hearing a lot of people jumping on the wellness train specifically when it comes to talking self-care. Its become such a ‘fad’ lately, its hard to tell who really leads with what they say [or not]. What does self-care mean to you?
For me, it’s become a check-in with myself. A time to retreat inside and get centered from whatever might be going on inside/around me. Without getting into specifics, I’ve been going through a lot personally and have found self-care to be such a positive rebound for my emotional and mental state.
If I had to break it down, there are six main things I do for myself that I would classify in the ‘self-care’ category:
6 THINGS I DO FOR MYSELF DAILY:
- hydrate: we all know I love my morning collagen water with fresh lemon slices. Water is the foundation of a healthy mind, body & complexion. Aside from the obvious reasons you should be drinking water, I’ve found it really beneficial for my skin. The more water I drink, the more hydrated and plump my skin gets, which results in a super healthy, fresh, youthful glow. When I’m slacking on my water intake I start to feel sluggish and can usually see it appear in fine lines or dull looking skin.
- daily rituals: figure out what makes you feel good and do that. Set the tone of your day. I like to light a candle or some palo santo to clear the energy and create ambiance before I dive into an hour of emails. Find little daily rituals that help you move through the day. It’s helped me create much better habits and keep them.
- read something stimulating: maybe for you it’s online articles or blogs. For me, it’s reading books on mindset, philosophy, business & the stories of others building businesses. I’m in the process of compiling a list to share here of resources I keep going back to.
- beauty tools: using beauty tools like my Clarisonic Mia Smart is another daily ritual I like to do to treat myself to luxurious skincare. Sure, it takes a few minutes to run through the brush heads [step 1: cleanse, step 2: firming massage, step 3: awakening eye massager] but I think it’s worth it. Taking the time to take care of my skin every day adds up and over time I do see noticeable differences in the brightness, smoothness and texture of my skin.
- move: it’s no secret that the main reason I workout is for my mental sanity. When things start to build up, it’s my release. Through the years I’ve noted not to let it get to that point so I make it a priority to excercise — or at the very least, get outside for a walk to clear my head and shift my energy.
- rest: one of the hardest lessons for me, was to learn when to rest and not to quit. Quitting is easy. Resting to recover and re-adjust is so much tougher. I’ve learned to listen to my body and not feel guilty if I need to cancel my plans and take a bath and read. When my tank is empty, I’m no good to anybody. Gotta look out for number one.
What are some ways you practice self-care?